Library Carpentry: SQL
This lesson will teach you what relational databases are, how you can load data into them and how you can query databases to extract data.
Databases are useful for both storing and using data effectively. Using a relational database serves several purposes.
It keeps your data separate from your analysis. This means there’s no risk of accidentally changing data when you analyze it. After this workshop, learners will be able to:
- Define a relational database.
- Explain what SQL is and why to use it.
- Identify library and information skills that relate to using SQL
- Understand how SQL can be used to query databases
- Use SQL to filter a database based on select critera
- Use SQL functions to group, aggregate and make calculations values in a database
- Understand how to build queries, and the order in which to build the parts.
- Understand how to link tables together via joins